Wednesday 7 October 2015

John - Thursday 7th October 1915

Dear Jess,

I was pleased to hear that you had had word from Billie.  I have written to him twice since I came back so I expect a letter soon.  I am afraid Joe is too far away for me to visit him, but I might come across him soon because I think we shall be moving farther south as we are nearly finished here. 

My stock of iodine &c is finished.  I should like some more like the tube you sent me from Boots.  I also want some more Quinine capsules - they are most useful out here. 

I have not had much time for letter writing the last week.  We have been working till late and we spent our spare time making a stove out of a biscuit tin.  We have got it completed now and it is surprising how much heat it gives out.  We get our boots and socks dried every night now which is a great comfort.  We also manage to do a little cooking. 

I'm writing this while out with a party - it is a lovely day, quite the best we have had since I came back.  The last week has been rotten - rain every day. 

I hope Mother and all at home are well.  I expect to be with you all again soon, so cheer up. 

Joe will be all right out here, they are taking special care of all troops who are to be out here for the winter.  I expect Billie will be withdrawn from the line before long.  I am sure they all need a jolly good rest for they are fairly having a rough time.  I should like them to be down here, they would appreciate the rest more than these chaps do. 

I must close now I shall write again as soon as I can.  Have just had a letter from Joe and he is where I thought at Armentiers from what I can make out; they relieved the Canadians I think.  I received Sarah's letters and the papers all right.  I shall write to her later.  If I am right, Joe is in a very quiet part of the line to start off with, near where we were. 

Love to all John

No comments:

Post a Comment