Friday 23 October 2015

Billie - Saturday 23rd October 1915

Dear Aunt,

Very many thanks for your parcel which I received two days ago.  It just came in handy as we just had bully beef and biscuits. 

We are still in the trenches and having a rotten time of it and we will not be sorry when we come out on Sunday.  We have the RIR in with us Carson's army and they are a lot of knuts and we have a time with them when we are instructing them.  There is a rumour, that we are going back a few miles soon for a rest, and only hope this is right and comes jolly quickly as we are ready for it. 

The weather is damp and cold although tonight it is quite a treat.  We were out in front of the line last night on a covering party for a wire party and it poured with rain the whole time, so we were glad when we were finished.  Time is fairly flying now, and we will have Christmas here before we know where we are. 

They are starting giving two men out of the Brigade leave every week for special work.  Anyone who does anything out of the ordinary while in the trenches has his name sent in and the Brigade staff choose who has to go.  Well I had been out in front with an officer and stayed for a time and another chap also had been out some night or other, and so it was touch and go who should go.  However I knew nothing about it, and the result was that they other chap had his name sent in.  From what I am told it was because they knew he came from Birmingham and they did not know where I lived and the papers had to be sent right away.  However I don't know how he has come on yet.  If I'd had a bit of luck I might have stood a good chance.  However it was hard luck and cannot be helped. 

You might thank Mother for her parcel received last night; the money belt was fine.  You can tell Sarah she can make me a padded waistcoat with sleeves in and a pocket and it will be fine.  I had a letter from Joe and he is all right again, I hope all are well again by this reaches you. 

I've been trying for the last half hour to get a fire going but the thing won't burn.  It is a job to get coke to catch, but once you get it going it is all right. 

A German came in and gave himself up to us the other day and he says that since we have taken over this part of the French they have had an awful lot of casualties, so that is something.  The rats and mice are very busy in the dug outs trying to eat our rations.  We usually put the cheese on the floor, and let them have a good feed then they leave the bread alone.  One of the Irish chaps was told to keep a sharp look out the first night they were in, and he was on sentry, so he went in his dug out and brought a candle out, and was going to put it on the parapet. 

Well I think I've given you all the news so must close.  Hoping all are well as it leaves me in the pink. 

Love Billie. 

No comments:

Post a Comment