Tuesday 6 October 2015

Billie - Wednesday 6th October 1915

Dear Janey,

Very many thanks for letter received on Monday night, also home parcel received last night. 

I am pleased to say we are out of the front line and are now in reserve for 4 days making our spell of 8 days in and out.  We have had a rotten time this time, the weather and everything in general being so rotten. 

I cannot understand why you have received no letters for a week, as I wrote one every day we were out, while the big action was going on just on our left, to let you know that I was still all right.  But I think all the letters have been delayed as all the chaps are saying their people have not been receiving them for the last week.  However I hope by when this reaches you that you've received them as I wrote to Mother, Jess, Sarah and you all in the course of the week.  Let me know if you do not get them and we will make a shine about it.  I wrote to John to ask him if he received his. 

The chicken &c arrived in fine condition, and I can tell you we all enjoyed it, seeing as at the time it arrived we were on bully beef and biscuit diet.  We have now fires in the trenches so are much more comfortable.  We are in a nice little dug out at present with a coke fire going and we can have a hot drink just as we like. 

I have just had a new great coat issued, a long one, to my feet, so I want Sarah to send me about a dozen of those big hooks and eyes, so that when the trenches are wet underfoot, I can fasten it up.  Please send me some cycle tyre solution, also send more socks if you've not put any in this week's parcels, so that I will have a change and try to have these good ones washed. 

I was surprised to hear that Joe was out here, but I don't suppose they will have been amongst all this heavy fighting.  You can let me have his full address.  You need not send any more stoves now that we are allowed fires. 

Tell all at home not to get downhearted and to cheer up as we will soon be all home.  Above all do not worry.  I know you cannot help it, but you must try and I will let you have field cards if I cannot send letters. 

Kindly remember me to all my friends and thank May for her letters. 

Well cheerioh.  Love Billie. 

What do you think?  Our dog was shot the other day, as it came out in orders that all dogs had to be done away with on account of diseases.  So ours was taken while we were asleep and shot, and you ought to have heard the row all the chaps kicked up when we got to know.  We all liked him, he was such a fine little chap, and then to crown it all orders came out the next day that we could keep them, after they had gone and shot ours. 

I have just made a ring out of a German shell nose cap that burst about 10 yards from me a few weeks ago, so when I get it finished I will try and get it home.  I have also enough metal for about two more, so if I get them made I will try and let you have them home.  They may be rather small but I had to make them small, in order to get enough metal for 3.  The big one the French chap gave me I think I'd better keep for luck. 

You might send me another Golliwog out as mine has fallen in pieces. 

Love Billie. 

No comments:

Post a Comment