Saturday 10 October 2015

Joe - Sunday 10th October 1915

Machine Gun Section
8th Border Reg.
BEF

Dear Jess,

I received the parcel and letters also the papers. 

I am back again with all the chaps.  I left hospital on Friday afternoon and went into the trenches.  We were at Head Quarters so we were all right.  We came out of the trenches yesterday, so we will be in billets for 6 days now. 

I had a letter from John, it had been waiting up at the trenches; he would get my letter after held sent his off.  I was talking with Reay of Bransty, he was a great footballer, also with McLaughlin and a lot more 5th Border chaps.  I got a good many cards from John so I have plenty to be going on with and I have plenty of money so I'm not taking any harm.  I don't know how many pages were in that last letter but as I always read my letters over, a page must have been lost out.  You needn't put platoon or coy on my letters &c now, just the above address. 

Billie is no doubt near the heavy fighting, perhaps he will be among it.  You seem surprised at our quick move to the firing line and of course everyone would think we were in the big advance; we all had a good laugh about that.  We are having grand weather, a bit chilly at nights but not very cold. 

John told me I could tell him where I was at, but I don't know whether I can or not, as our censor is so strict, but he told me where he is.  I told him something in my last letter, he will probably be telling you. 

You need not send me another muffler and helmet - I have both, and it only means so much more to carry.  Everything arrived safely in the parcel, I did not get it until Friday, and I have had four letters.  I have written to Billie so I expect a letter from him anytime now.  I'm going to write to Mrs Nelson and to Peckham.  I have just received your letter and one from John containing 5 francs - it is jolly good of him. 

I hope it is only a rumour about Ike Eccles.  I don't know where Whitehaven people get all their yarns from, but Joe Cant has not been touched and Donaldson as far as I can make out was killed by a machine gun while on listening patrol.  We had a chap killed out of B Coy last Monday, we've only had two casualties and of course I got a bit of a scratch but that was nothing;, it got me a holiday for a few days and I am in the pink now. 

Well I must close.  With love to all at home.  The answer to your question is NO. 

Your loving brother Joe

No comments:

Post a Comment