Monday 26 October 2015

Billie - Friday 26th November 1915

Dear Sarah,

Very many thanks for letter, also thank all at home for parcel which arrived in splendid condition.  Ask Father to thank Mrs Mayne for the loaf, it was A1 I can assure you.  I appreciate her kindness.  I will write to her soon.  The oatmeal was great and we make fine porridge before we turn in, after being on sentry, and it fairly does warm us.  I don't know why I never thought of asking you to send it before.  You might put some in my parcels always also sugar and milk.  The meat roll was fine and comes in jolly handy as we've not had a bacon issue. 

We are out of the trenches and are in the village just at the bottom of the communication trench for 8 days.  We had a fairly decent time of it in the trenches the last time; they really managed to give us a bit of a rest.  However I suppose we'll have to make up for it. 

I was sorry to hear Mother had been ill in bed again and trust she is better, also Father's cold. 

I was pleased to hear Joe had got his winter coat, some of our Battalion have got the leather ones but myself I preferred the goatskin, although they will take some keeping clean, however this is merely a detail now.  The weather is dry again but very cold, and we are expecting rain anytime again.  There has been extra activity on this front the last few days and we have had a fair number of casualties but I bet they have had more on the other side. 

Please send me another tin of that hair pomade, it is A1 for out here.  It is very good of the Spirella Co. to send me another belt.  I will write to thank them as soon as I have time.  I am about 100 on the list for leave, and as they are at present sending 6 a week, you may have some idea now that I don't stand much chance of leave before about March, if everything goes on all right.  We are in a cellar and are fairly comfortable.  Everything seems to point to the fact that we are here for some time yet.  The BIR moved back today, and they don't know where they are going to. 

Please remember me to the girls, all aunts and cousins.  Fancy Thompson giving his name in, he wants to try and get as a dispatch rider or in the Flying Corps.  Tell him whatever he does, not to join the Infantry as they are the servants for everyone. 

Well I think I have given you all the news so must close.  Hoping all are well, as I'm in the pink. 

Your loving brother Billie. 

No comments:

Post a Comment