Thursday 22 October 2015

Joe - Friday 22nd October 1915

"Pals"

Dear Mother,

Well, we are out of the trenches again and back in our billets for another six days.  I had a letter from Sarah the other day and I had just sent her one off.  She asked me if I wanted a padded waistcoat, well I don't want one just yet as I've never worn my jersey yet.  I will let you know as soon as I want anything.  I have still plenty of money and, if I ask for any, don't send postal orders please as they are not much use out here. 

We are having fairly decent weather here.  We've had very little rain and that is the chief point.  I'd heard about Captain Blair getting the DSC before I received Jess's letter, also a chap called Clem Mossop got the DCM and then he was killed the next day; it was hard luck because I think he would have been going on leave shortly.  Capt. Blair never went out without him. 

Capt. McCullock out of C Coy. was shot in the leg on Wednesday and we all got a shock when we heard the next morning that he had died.  I think it was through loss of blood and shock, although it was a nasty wound.  He was only young and we all liked him. 

You can send me some cigarettes now, as I've started to smoke a little, also I would like a pipe and some mild tobacco.  Thompson can choose it. 

Capt. McCullock was one of the best liked soldiers we had and we all thought he would have pulled through. 

Sid is in the pink.  I am with Billy Gill and Bob Skinner on the guns and they are both keeping fine.  I will write to Father next. 

You want to know if I see Miller (Irven) well I am half an hour's walk from where he is, because he is in the stores.  I hope Thompson likes his new work. 

I knew Father would go to work even though there was a rumour of a Zeppelin Raid that night.  I think a chap would be just as safe in the shipyard as any place, because if a chap has got to be hit, he will be wherever he goes.  I've just received Janey's letter. 

Well I've no more news at present.  Hoping this finds all at home well. 

Your loving son Joe

No comments:

Post a Comment