Thursday 29 October 2015

Joe - Friday 29th October 1915

"Pals"

Dear Father,

I thought I would write you a few lines.  I would have written to you before but I knew you always get all the news at the weekend.  You will likely be working as hard as ever, and I hope you are none the worse for all the hard work you have done. 

I heard from home about you hearing that a number of our Regiment had been wiped out.  Well don't believe the least thing you hear because it is a hundred to one it's only a rumour.  We have been having showery weather and the trenches are a bit sloppy, but still we are comfortable.  I heard it was rumoured there was going to be a Zepp raid on Barrow and some of the men did not turn out; well I think the men would be just as safe in the shipyard as anywhere because all the bombs do not hit the object aimed at - very few do. 

A good number of our Battalion have got the sheepskin coats, ours are in the store.  I think it is rather early to start wearing them, better to wait until the weather is colder and we will feel the benefit of them. 

How is Mrs Mayne keeping?  Remember me to her.  The garden will be looking a bit desolate now, and I think you won't be getting so many eggs from our little stock.  I am writing this in the firing line and sometimes all is so quiet you can hardly realise there is a war on and then you hear someone firing, but it is hard to believe that anything serious is taking place. 

Billie seems to be having it rough, although he is in good health and that is the main thing.  The King was very near our part of the line yesterday; we sent him a guard of honour from the trenches.  I think this winter will test the Germans, they seem pretty well fed up; all their troops will have had their fill of the trenches.  Well we go out of the trenches today, so we have four days in billets. 

Well I must close, hoping this finds you and all at home in the best of health. 

Your loving son Joe

No comments:

Post a Comment