Tuesday 13 October 2015

Joe - Wednesday 13th October 1915

Dear Mother,

I am keeping grand now and all the chaps are in the pink.  I have received quite a number of letters but the other parcel has not turned up.  We are moving from our billets this afternoon, I don't know where perhaps in the trenches.  I expect you got my letter, I also wrote to John again, he was going to try to get over to see me, but he has rather a long way to come.  I have had no word from Billie yet, but perhaps he is in the trenches again.  By the way I got May's letter and Janey's.  I have had a good number of letters so I evidently have received them all.  I expect Billie will get home soon.  We are just going to the trenches. 

14th October I've received a letter from Billie and one from Sarah and Billie Nixon also the papers.  I have also just received my other parcel and in spite of it being in a tin box, the tomatoes were a bit bruised but I think someone had been doing the Highland Fling on the box, But as luck happened all the other things were unharmed. 

Tell Mr Grahame that we did not mean cigs were so cheap that he'd to stop sending Wilson them, and I think he should place a box at the end of the Terrace for "Cigs for poor Tommy".  The cigs here are not good ones but this does not matter to me. 

We came out of the trenches last night as we were only in for a few hours but I think tomorrow we go in for six days. 

I always meant to thank Dolly and Elsie for that box they bought to the station, you must thank them for me, as we are only allowed to write every other day.  The belt was all right and I will write and thank Sarah for it. 

Well I have no more news at present.  You did right to refuse the reporters who wanted my letter for the papers.  I don't want anything about me in the papers.  Syd is in the pink.  I haven't seen Miller Irven since we came over. 

Hoping all at home are well as I am feeling grand. 

I remain, you loving son Joe

No comments:

Post a Comment