Saturday 17 October 2015

John - Sunday 17th October 1915

Dear Jess,

I have just had this letter from Joe and I'm sending it just to let you see he is all right again. 

I can't make out where he is, seeing they have censored it after all, but I think he is near Equingham, which is where we were for some few days when we first came out here. 

Well things are much the same here, I'm going on parade again tomorrow, having had my week of orderly Sergeant - (holiday my pals call it).  We are expecting to move from here very shortly but where to no one knows.  There are rumours we are going to Calais and I only hope it is true, still we shall not know till the time comes where it will be.  I think we shall go into Billets. 

It is getting too cold for being outside, but we are very comfortable where we are and I for one would not mind staying.  Things are fairly quiet round here just at present, but they were bad enough last week. 

I think I must close now as I have to take my washing.  You need not send me any cigarettes and just a little Waverley Tobacco and a pair of socks.  Joe's letter was censored in spite of it being in a green envelope. 

Love to all John. 

No comments:

Post a Comment