Tuesday 13 October 2015

Billie - Wednesday 13th October 1915

Dear Janey and Thompson,

Very many thanks for lovely parcels.  I received both, from Mother also for letters. 

I was sorry to hear Joe has been wounded, he wrote and told me.  I only hope he gets sent to Blighty.  We are still out of the trenches but will go in on Sunday.  We had a nice little route march to be fumigated.  The best of it is the fumigator is a powerful oven arrangement fitted on a motor and could easily be brought up here, but I suppose that would be too near the firing line for some of the chaps who manage it. 

I was pleased to hear in Thompson's letter they have started the large munition works at Gretna.  It will be a sight to see them.  We were told after the advance that if everything had gone off as it should with the French on our left, we should have been over the parapet and attacking the German trenches, but it did not come off, although we had a very exciting time of it, and there was plenty of strafing from both sides. 

We are going to have some of the R.I.R. Carson's men in with us the next time for instruction so we should have a fairly easy time of it.  I have just heard that Fred Tallentire is in the RAMC attached to Carsons's so if it is this lot I may see him. 

Yes we often feel downhearted and in the dumps but we have to pull ourselves together again and forget our little troubles.  We have a lot to put up with one way and another and I can tell you this, if conscription does not come in, they will never get another voluntary army. 

You must not worry about Joe and I've just heard he is walking about so he is all right. 

I'm afraid there is no chance of me getting a leave before Christmas.  There is no doubt this is going to be a longer war than people expect. 

Our Battn has been mentioned in despatches.  We have just had 15 aeroplanes over us and it was not half a sight.  They were all new ones, American and American aviators, and they simply played with the enemy's aircraft guns. 

I was sorry to hear about the death of poor old Tommy, Pater won't half miss him. 

We have just had new suits issued.  I will send you some more cards when some of my pals get their leave soon.  I saw Hartley Jackson's photograph in the News and he looked fine.  Oh, you might send me a bottle of sauce as it helps this bacon down, one or two chaps have had it sent and it came all right. 

We have just been out practising for the attack and arrived back soaked through, and we are out digging all the afternoon. 

I hope all are well at home also all the aunts and Mr Ray and family.  I must close now. 

Your loving brother Billie. 

No comments:

Post a Comment