Wednesday 28 October 2015

Joe - Thursday 28th October 1915

Ploegsteert. 

Dear Thompson,

I think it is your turn.  Perhaps you will be away when this reaches you, you put some late hours in now. 

We are in the trenches again but I think we go into billets tomorrow.  We have an extra dry place to sleep in when we go into billets.  A great many of the dug outs of course are not very dry when we have rain, but we dropped on one of the driest and we were jolly comfortable, because every night we could keep a fire burning.  We cook our own grub, rations are dished out every day, so we can cook grub to our own taste. 

John and Billie seem to be going on all right.  I think this winter will test the Germans all right, they seem pretty well fed up.  We have plenty of artillery out here now and plenty of men.  We just do four days in the trenches and four out.  I think this is for the winter.  You should see a lot of our Battn with their fir coats on, they look like a lot of Teddy Bears, but they are grand coats. 

Tell Janey yes I do like Horlicks Malted Milk tablets so they can send me some.  I am writing to Father today too; it is time I wrote to him for he never forgets any of us.  I have piles of letters to write but we don't get much time for letter writing.  I am enclosing a piece of poetry a Sergeant over our section made up, while we were in the trenches.  I think it is jolly good; he may send it to some of the papers. 

I was the first to be wounded in the Battn but I wasn't long in getting right again.  I hope your people are all well.  Captn Blair has made a good name for himself, it was hard luck on Clem Mossop who went out with him; he was soon killed after distinguishing himself. 

I have just had dinner, we fried some beef, and it was champion.  Of course there is nobody here to ask us how we like our eggs boiled.  Well I must close hoping all are well at home. 

Your affectionate brother Joe

No comments:

Post a Comment