Saturday 31 October 2015

John - Sunday 31st October 1915

Kemmel, NW of Messines.

Dear Janey,

I hope you are all well and that Aunt Joan is improving.  I am writing this in a farm kitchen where it is nice and warm.  I sat up in the loft until I was nearly frozen.  So I am staying here as long as I can. 

Our officer, Lieut. Hoskins, is going up the line early this week.  He is in our Company so we shall lose a good friend, whilst those up the line will gain a friend.  He has been jolly good to us while we were with him, and I should like to go up the line with him. 

It is very cold here, heaps colder than in the wood.  It is warmer sleeping in the barn though, but every day it has done nothing but rain since we came here, and it soak- through your boots no matter how good they are.  I have plenty of warm clothes so you need not worry; only the damp makes its way through everything. 

I must close now as it is dinnertime.  Hoping all at home are well. 

Love to all John. 

No comments:

Post a Comment