Wednesday 7 October 2015

Bilie - Thursday 7th October 1915

Dear Jess,

Just a line to let you know I am going on all right.  I was pleased to hear you did receive all those letters I sent you.  There is no doubt that the advance is making a great difference in the postal service. 

We are out of the trenches again in reserve and tomorrow we are off to the village 3 miles behind the line for a rest which I have no doubt will include bayonet fighting and route marches with the nut tightening process. 

The weather now is very cold especially at one o'clock in the morning.  I think we are being issued with our underclothing this time out so you need only send me a pair of socks. 

We were called out last night - thought the Germans were coming again - but there was nothing doing, although they did not half give us a dusting up with all shells and rifle fire, but they did not do any very serious damage. 

Well I think I have given you all the news up to the present, so hoping all are well as it leaves me in the pink.  I have just written to Joe. 

Your loving brother Billie. 

No comments:

Post a Comment