Tuesday 27 October 2015

Billie - Wednesday 27th October 1916

Dear Sarah,

Very many thanks for letter, also thank Jess for her parcel.  Tell her I received it last night and the sausage was great and quite a treat from the bacon issued.  It was as fresh as though just cooked.  The apple cake and gingerbread we all enjoyed very much. 

I was pleased to hear you were doing so well on flag day and it is jolly decent of the tradesmen giving a percentage of their takings.  I hope Aunt Joan is improving, I was sorry to hear she had been so very ill. 

I don't think either John or I were billeted at the house Joe mentioned as we have never been lucky enough to get billeted in a house since we came to France in March. 

Charlie Porter is a brick enlisting and I was very pleased.  He set a good example to some on Victoria Road, but never mind they will all have to join up in a few weeks.  I'm surprised to hear they are letting some transfer as several of our chaps wished to do so when we were in England but they were not allowed.  You might thank Miss Rooke for her chocolate which I received in the parcel, it was jolly good of her.  I will drop her a card as soon as I get time. 

I was pleased to hear Stan Metcalfe is about better.  I bet he will be able to tell some tales of the Dardenelles and since John left us we could tell you some yarns that would about make your hair stand on end.  I suppose John told you all the doings of when he was with us. 

The weather is properly wintry now.  It is very cold and wet and the wind cuts through you.  We have just had some fine leather gloves issued and we are supposed to wear woolled ones underneath so you can send me the knitted ones out.  You can make me that padded waistcoat please as it will just be the very thing for out here.  Did you receive the photo P.C.s as I will send some more if the last ones got through all right?  The sauce arrived safely and was fine.  Please send me another pack of cards as we've worn the other pack you sent me right away, we cannot tell what some of them are.  Remember me to all who enquire. 

Poor Findlay Dixon, it must be terrible for his people.  There has been an awful bombardment going on today, both on our front but chiefly further up the line.  Well I think I've given you all the news up to the present so must close, hoping all are well as it leaves me in the pink. 

Your loving brother Billie. 

No comments:

Post a Comment