Sunday 25 October 2015

Joe - Monday 25th October 1915

"Pals"

Dear Jess,

I received the parcel all right and everything went down grand.  I had a letter from John and he seems to be getting on all right, he said he might come across me and he thinks they are moving. 

We came in the trenches yesterday.  Please send me a pack of cards and also one of those small lamps like you sent Billie and a pair of my mittens.  It was very good of Miss Rooke to put that chocolate in the parcel.  I have several people to write to, but I'm afraid they will have to wait a while.  I don't want any shirts or socks yet.  I have my own 3 shirts and socks quite good yet, so I am taking no harm.  I was going to write to Father but I though I better reply to the parcel so I will write to Father next, but I know he always reads all the letters. 

A lot of our Battn have got those sheepskin coats.  I have not got mine yet, I would sooner wait a few weeks until the weather is a bit colder.  It rained pretty heavily yesterday but it faired up towards night.  It has been grand today, but a bit nippy. 

Don't send me any more soap; I have piles of it and it is cheap out here, but you can still send candles.  I get my washing done by a Belgian woman and it is done well, and cheaply too. 

Altogether I have a fair time of it out of the trenches.  We get good meals one of our favourites being eggs and chips and they are fine.  I have no more news at present. 

Hoping all are well. 

Your loving brother Joe

No comments:

Post a Comment