Sunday 25 October 2015

Billie - Monday 25th October 1915

Dear Jess,

Many thanks for letters and home parcel which arrived in good condition.  Kindly thank Aunt Sally for the bread which came in handy when we just had biscuits issued. 

We are out of the trenches again for 8 days, although we are really in reserve in dug outs about a mile behind the line, and we are fairly comfortable.  The only thing is we have no fires here but should think they will soon be putting us some sort of arrangement in.  We had the Irish in with us last time and we had a rare time with them, they are a lot of nuts and kept us laughing with their funny sayings.  They also told us about when the Home Rule business looked so black, of the preparations they had.  Germany supplied them with rifles, bayonets and ammunition, so you see they were not half playing their cards well.  The chap who was telling me says he has still got his rifle and bayonet which he is keeping as a souvenir, and he said if the Kaiser knew that they were fighting against them he would try his best to smash them up as he thought they would not fight against them. 

I was sorry to hear Mother, Janey and Aunt Joan were not well and sincerely hope that by this time they are all much better, also Uncle Willie. 

I see the North Midland Division men who were on our left in Flanders have fairly caught it in the neck a few days ago.  They moved about the same time as we did, but to a different part of the line.  There is a rumour that we will be moving to another part of the line very soon, but do not know how true it is, but should think we will be here until Christmas; but of course I do not know, we may be moved any day.  At any rate we are quite ready for a rest and do not mind how soon it comes. 

We should have been out digging this morning but we cannot make it out - it was actually cancelled on account of it being so wet.  The officer that I was out in front of the trenches with was shot dead by a sniper the next day. 

Well I think I have given you all the news up to the present hoping that all are quite well, as it leaves me in the pink. 

Well, Cheer Oh.  Your loving brother Billie. 

P.S. Oh you might send me a small bottle of camphorated oil in case I get a cold.  I suppose Jack and Gus will be a pair of knuts now.  I'll hardly know them.  Remember me to all at school.  Did the P.C.s come through all right? 

No comments:

Post a Comment