Saturday 31 October 2015

Joe - Sunday 31st October 1915

"PALS" Plougsteert

Dear Mother,

I received the parcel; everything went down grand and arrived in splendid condition.  I got it today (Sunday).  I think I have received all my parcels as I have had one every week.  The pipe is a very nice one, just the sort I wanted. 

We are just sitting about the room as it is raining hard outside.  I was on Church parade this morning.  I think it is generally held outside, but it came on to rain so hard we had it in A company's quarters in a barn.  The minister had a barrel to stand on and I just thought what a peculiar service it was.  Our batteries were shelling the German positions and we could hear the shells whizzing over, and we were inside a farmyard, so it was a bit mixed up, although we had a decent service.  Communion is held in a soldier's club.  I have been there twice. 

I had a letter from John, and I will be writing to Billie and him.  I would like to see them out here, though there is not much chance of seeing Billie.  There will be some surprises with Lord Derby's letters - if that doesn't get men I don't know what will.  This Balkan business is a bit of a set back but that will soon be well in hand.

The last day in the trenches we had four wounded out of D Coy and one S. Wales Borderer killed by one shell.  It landed right on the cookhouse, so that was rather rotten luck.  We are all in the pink, and not taking any harm; only it's rotten when it's wet.  But I always think we should not complain, when we think of what our troops went through last winter; some of their hardships will never be known. 

I was surprised to hear of the 9th Borders leaving France, no doubt a good number of troops will have to go to Serbia.  I can't understand why they are so short of men on Billie's part of the line and they have to do double duties.  Why, we have thousands of men who have never seen the trenches yet.  I think we have plenty of single chaps to finish this war, but if it comes to the push everybody will have to go. 

Well I think I have given you all the news so must close.  Hoping all are well at home. 

Your loving son Joe

No comments:

Post a Comment