Saturday 1 August 2015

John - Sunday 1st August 1915

Dear Mother,

I hope you are quite better and soon able to get out.  I am pleased to say I am A1.  We are in an ideal place for keeping fit and well during this fine weather.  The work is fairly hard but I can please myself whether I do much or not.  We can buy fresh fruit and some very nice brown bread so we can live fairly well.  Of course all the chaps do not know where to get the eggs &c and we are not telling all of them. 

We are not anywhere near Billie and I don't think we shall join them for some time, we shall be here for a few months if the war is not over before, so you need not worry about me at any rate. 

I expect Joe would have a good time in London, when is he having his leave home? 

I have not got my other stripes up yet, they have to be sanctioned by about a dozen different people and they have not come back yet. 

I hope Father has a decent rest this week.  If the weather is anything like it is here, it will be glorious for holidays.  We have not much time for letter writing here so you see I have to rush them in anyhow.  I have just received the parcel safely as usual.  I shall write to Mr Yeowart when I have time.  The photo of May and Fergie is splendid.  The cakes &c will be very useful for tea as we could not eat the dinner today; still we must not grumble. 

Hoping all are well.  Love to all,

Your affectionate son, John. 

No comments:

Post a Comment