Saturday 8 August 2015

John - Sunday 8th August 1915

9th Platoon C. Coy.
1st Entrenching Battn.

Dear Janey,

Thank you very much for the parcels.  Rather strange, parcels seem to reach us before letters. 

I am awfully pleased to hear of Thompson's good appointment - it was a great surprise.  I have sent Billie a little piece of Belgian lace.  If you would like some let me know how much.  I shall get it for you also Mother, Sarah and Jess and the aunts.  It is not very dear so don't be afraid to say how much you would like. 

I have just applied for leave and think I shall get it in a few weeks.  I am looking forward to it very much indeed.  I shall have five days at home so it will be worth coming for. 

I had a letter from our Billie yesterday and he is having a rough time and no mistake.  We have had our share this week.  I have not had a minute of letter writing.  I shall have more time this week, as I am Orderly Corporal.  The parcel was A1 especially the cakes and pear, not forgetting the sweets and fags.  You need not send me any more bread whilst here as we can buy bread and butter.  Thank Thompson for the fags. 

Must close now as I'm on duty in a few minutes.  I'm pleased Mother is improving. 

Love to all John

No comments:

Post a Comment