Wednesday 19 August 2015

Billie - Thursday 19th August 1915

Dear Janey,

Many thanks for letter and parcel received yesterday.  You must thank Sarah for the parcel of useful things from "Boots" they came in jolly handy.  That radium pocket stove is quite a treat and made us lovely cups of cocoa in the trenches.  We are not allowed a fire in the trenches so you may bet we enjoyed fully a steaming hot tin of cocoa while on sentry duty at 5 a.m. 

I am pleased to Mater is much better and trust she goes on well.  I had a letter from Sarah yesterday from Drigg and she seems to be having a nice time of it.  The change will do her good.  Has Joe turned up for his leave yet? 

I had a letter from John the other day and he seems to be having a hard time of it digging, but he has the satisfaction of knowing he is not the only one who has to do digging.  Every day since we came out of the trenches we have had digging from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m., so you see they keep us at it.  We were sent to have a bath last night at 5 after we had got back from digging, but when we got to the baths we were told to go this morning.  But seeing we have to go out digging I don't see how we will manage it.  However here comes the rain again so we will be able to have a wash at any rate. 

We were also going to be fumigated, but that has not taken place yet.  But I don't think we need it now as we have cleared them out ourselves.  That powder Sarah sent me just came at the right time.  Our officer tells us it is just as honourable to have lice as to have a wound, but you should hear what the chaps say.  However we are clean once more so we have nothing to worry about. 

Well I think I have given you all the news so must close.  We go in the trenches on Monday so you can arrange my parcel so that it comes on Tuesday here.  Tell Aunt Sally that loaf was a treat and the photograph is grand of May and Gus.  Kindly remember me to all the aunts as I've not had time to write to all at present.  Please send me some more of this writing paper. 

Hoping all at home are well and that Thompson likes his new work. 

Love to all. 

Your affectionate brother Billie. 

We are having a rest day for a wonder.  Just writing to our John. 

No comments:

Post a Comment