Thursday 30 July 2015

Billie - Friday 30th July 1915

Dear Sarah,

Thanks for letters.  Tell Jess we are 10 miles south from number 3 (Arras) and up to the present are having a soft time.  We did 4 days in the trenches and then had 10 days in reserve so we expect to go in again about Wednesday. 

You will no doubt be pleased to hear I had a very lucky escape.  The Germans were shelling us pretty badly and a piece of shell about the size of a chestnut hit one of the pouches I carry my ammunition in, and it was a good job the pouch was full as it stopped the force of it and did no damage bar cutting the pouch but that was a detail.  I've got the piece of shell and am going to send it at the first opportunity. 

I had another large parcel from our Managing Director.  One of the Battn that relieved us has fairly caught it in the neck.  I'm sure Joe would have a grand time in London; I only wish I could have shown him round. 

I was sorry to hear about Dr Dickinson's son, it must be a great suspense for his people. 

We have been out digging twice since we came out of the trenches so you will see that on the whole we are having a soft time. 

Don't send me any more milk, cocoa or anything of that sort until I let you know.  You might send me another towel as someone has pinched mine, also if you can get me a Zobo, or small pair of bagpipes you might let me have them as we have a concert every night in the barn.  You might ask Janey to copy me some of my songs out in an exercise book.  Don't send the music as I would only lose it. 

The weather is the hottest I've ever felt it.  Fancy Gus going to school.  I'm sure he won't half be a tartar. 

Well I must close, please thank Aunt Joan for Jack's photo it is fine.  Hoping all are well. 

Your loving brother Billie

No comments:

Post a Comment