Saturday 29 August 2015

John - Sunday 29th August 1915

Dear Jess,

I am pleased to hear Mother is improving and hope that you are quite better by now. 

You will no doubt be surprised to hear that I have met young Jim Goodall out here.  I saw him yesterday and today, and he and his pal are coming to have dinner on Thursday with me.  They are a fine lot of chaps, his company, and his pal comes from Cockermouth.  He knows heaps of Whitehaven chaps that I know, and we had a most enjoyable time. 

What is this yarn about Mrs Burnyeat being a spy?  The chap from Cockermouth had heard about it but did not know anything definite. 

I had a letter from Billie and I have answered it.  I want him to write to me as often as possible.  I am anxious to hear how they are going on with the Battn. 

Please send me another paid of socks and a dark flannel shirt.  I think I told you I received your parcels safely from Liverpool also Mother's last week.  You might also send some more envelopes.  The weather has broken again, it is pouring this afternoon; still we are going to have dinner out again.  Our hut is raining in parts, but not where I sleep thank goodness.  We have thatched the roof but it is not exactly waterproof. 

I hope Thompson likes his new work and that Father and all are well.  I had Sarah's letter yesterday I shall write to her as soon as I have time. 

Love to all at home.  John. 

No comments:

Post a Comment