Wednesday 19 August 2015

John - Thursday 19th August 1915

Dear Jess,

Thank you very much for the letter enclosed in the parcel of yesterday.  The shirt will do all right.  I will let you know when to send a flannel one.  By the way you need not send any more of those water purifiers, we have them issued to put in the water but I never drink the water at all when here.  I received your parcel and Sarah's from Liverpool quite safely and sent the receipt to Coopers, everything was intact and nothing missing. 

I saw the account of the submarine attack on Whitehaven.  I wish they had sent a shell and wakened those great single chaps on Victoria Road.  You see you are no safer than we are here.  The only difference is we get many more shells and they are slightly larger. 

I am having a fairly decent time of it whilst here.  I am at present in charge of a working party.  I've just had a stroll through the woods and gathered some nuts.  I called at a farm close by - in fact I go every day to see a French corporal.  He gave me some cigars for some Army tobacco and they are very decent and I have a glass of wine nearly every day.  It is poor wine out here.  I was asked how I liked it and I said "It's all right but we write with it in England".  The chap did not seem to understand. 

We are coming out here to dinner on Sunday.  I have found a farm where they will make us a decent dinner - chicken, beans and potatoes - so have ordered it for five of us. 

Billie will tell you about our leave.  I'm afraid it is all up with us but I am making another bid for it.  I just sent in last night so have not heard anything about it.  I suppose you will start school on Monday.  How quickly your holiday seemed to pass this year!  I had no idea it was so late in the month.  We notice a big change in the weather already and the nights are beginning to get very cold now, but we are nice and cosy in our new hut.  I have not had to sleep in all my clothes yet so you see we are warm enough. 

We spend all our money on extras such as eggs and butter and it is worth it.  You need not send me any money out at present I shall do my best to get some lace for all of you but we are working about 6 miles from the woman who makes it, so I shall have to wait until we go there again to work.  It will be my turn to go there in a week or two and I have ordered 10 meters of it for you all.  It is cheaper in French money than in English if you understand what I mean. 

Did Joe get down for his leave?  I expect they will find the same difficulty as we do.  I hear that all leave in the British army is stopped for a time.  I am sure I don't know the reason for it.  I was pleased to hear Mother is improving and hope she will soon be quite well again. 

I must close as it is lunchtime and it is a long walk to the farm where I go.  Hoping all are well and that Thompson likes his new work. 

Love to all, John. 

No comments:

Post a Comment