Monday 10 August 2015

John - Tuesday 10th August 1915

Dear Jess,

Thanks very much for your parcel from Liverpool.  Thank John for the fags for me as I have not had much time for writing at present.  I hope you had a decent holiday, I am sure you would need it after having Mother ill for so long. 

I am hoping to get leave soon.  I have made the necessary application so am anxiously waiting to see if anything turns up.  Had I to explain that Mother was so ill I think I could easily get it, but I don't intend to mention that except as a last resource, because it is such a misused statement.  I am pleased to hear Mother is improving.  A holiday would do her good only I'm afraid she wouldn't go away these times. 

There is no need for her to worry about me as I am quite all right.  I've done well for parcels lately having three in fur days.  The melon will be a nice change it will keep for a few days yet.  You need not send any more fags for a sometime.  I shall let you know when I am short but you can send a couple of ozs of Three Nuns tobacco.  I have just about finished my stock.  I do not want to have too much at a time because it only means more to carry when we get a move. 

I think we will be here for a couple of months yet.  Remember me to Mr & Mrs K. and all of them.  I can't possibly write to all my friends. 

Well I must close now.  I have cold feet and feel very seedy today but will be quite all right tomorrow.  I hope the weather keeps fine for you and that you have a good time. 

Love from your affectionate brother John. 

No comments:

Post a Comment