Friday 14 August 2015

John - Friday 13th August 1915

Dear Sarah,

Thanks very much for your letters and papers.  I've not had much time for letter writing so you see that is why I've not written before. 

We are having a fairly rough time of it on the whole, tons of work and rotten weather.  We have all got drenched this afternoon and the worst of it is we can't get dry.  I had a lovely shirt given me by our officer as I told him about the Belgian pinching mine and he would insist of me having one of his.  I am Sergeant now so I have more authority than before. 

I've heard nothing about my leave yet but I hope it will come through.  Thanks for the flowers they reminded me very much of home.  It makes one feel fed up with this life on a day like this but is not so bad in fine weather.  I hope Mother is still improving and will be quite better by the time I get home. 

I must close now.  Love to all at home. 

John. 

No comments:

Post a Comment