Tuesday 11 August 2015

Billie - Wednesday 11th August 1915

Dear Janey,

Many thanks for the parcel which I received yesterday.  You will be surprised to hear it had been opened at the Base so they packed it up again and put a note inside.  The only thing damaged was Mrs Mayne's cake - it was only crushed a bit and was fine. 

We are having a terrible time in the trenches - about the worst we have ever had.  The trenches were knee deep in mud and water and since we have been in, we have had some terrible storms and the trenches were flooded.  One morning we were called out at 3 and the water was deep enough for swimming and things were all floating about.  You should have seen our dress, a pair of high top boots and a shirt fastened with a belt.  We have had to bail out for 3 days now and now we have a pump at work but there is still a great deal of water.  We are working in 4-hour shifts.  I was on from 2 a.m. until 6 a.m. and by that time had had enough. 

We were out cutting the grass the first night and we had a birthday I can tell you.  You ought to see the village just a few hundred yards behind the firing line; it is an awful sight.  I don't think there is a single house untouched, and of course the lovely church is smashed beyond redemption.  All the inhabitants have had to leave, but yesterday when I went up there was an elderly woman there and she was mad and you cannot wonder at it.  We are pulling down some of the ruined houses to repair our trenches after the storm. 

I am pleased to hear mater is a bit better and trust she is still improving.  You will non doubt be surprised to hear we have a hunt every morning in these trenches and we have a catch.  You might send me some powder on for them.  All the chaps are the same.  We found a little refugee in the village when we went up the first day in the form of a terrier pup, so we have adopted it as a mascot. 
I received Father's letter on Sunday and I had a fine parcel from Jess yesterday; it was brought into the trenches. 

Well I think I must close.  Cheer up. 

Your loving brother Billie. 

No comments:

Post a Comment