Saturday 29 August 2015

Billie - Sunday 29th August 1915

Dear Janey,

Very many thanks for letter received a few days ago.  We are out of the trenches and supposed to be resting, but so far, apart from the actual danger, we are working harder than ever.  We would not mind at all if the work we are doing was helping the cause on and would put up with the eight hours a day drill. 

We have been out tonight for a couple of hours and got soaked through, but in spite of all the hardships we are still merry and bright, so you must not think that I am sick of this life.  We have a nice warm barn to sleep in so it is not so bad, but we have to be out at 6 every morning. 

I am pleased to hear Mother is improving and trust she will go on.  I had a letter from our John and he is having a busy time of it.  He has got one of those big military capes.  He bought it out here somewhere, so you might ask him to get me one as I will not have time to write to him for a few days - on account of the programme of work they have got out for us - and they are just the sort of thing for this weather.  They are like a cycle cape only they reach to the top of your boots. 

I'm pleased Gus has started school, I bet he will be a knut and will not half tell you some yarns.  Please send me two pairs of socks in my parcel.  I had another parcel from the managing director and a box of fags from F. Gibson.  I must write to Mr Yeowart when I get time.  Has Joe had his leave yet? 

Well I think I've given you all the news so must close.  Please send me some more of the usual writing paper.  Hoping all are well at home.  Remember me to Thompson's father. 

Your loving brother Billie. 

No comments:

Post a Comment