Thursday 27 August 2015

Billie - Friday 27th August 1915

Dear Sarah,

Just a line to let you know I am still all right.  We have been relieved out of the trenches yesterday and have marched down to this lovely little village for a rest.  All the division have come down so perhaps we will have a decent little rest.  At least we hope so.  We had a fine time in the trenches the last time as we were in reserve and were in a house that had been knocked about by German shells, but in spite of that we had a very nice time of it. 

I received your parcel all right.  This is a lovely place we are in now, right in a valley and a river, not very clean, flowing through.  We are sitting down by the river writing this.  I have not got my muffler and gloves and my sleeping helmet is just about finished.  The gloves and muffler I had to throw away on account of them being alive but the helmet I have still got.  So you can get on with one for me and I will let you know when to send it.  The weather here is great again, the sun being scorching hot, and we can do with it.  We are in reserve here, so hope there is nothing doing for sometime. 

I was pleased to hear mater was a bit better and that all at home were well.  I suppose Joe has not got off yet for his leave.  Remember me to all the girls.  I won't be home on leave for a long time yet; it is the chaps who never see the trenches who seem to get the leaves.  I think this is all the news, hoping you are all quite well as it leaves me in the pink. 

Your loving brother Billie. 

No comments:

Post a Comment