Monday 17 August 2015

Billie - Tuesday 17th August 1915

Dear Mother,

Many thanks for parcel which arrived in good condition.  Thank Aunt Sally for the cake it was a treat.  I was pleased you sent me some candles as we need them very much as we do not have any issued now as we are not supposed to need a light in summer.  However you might put me a few in each parcel and then I will be sure of them. 

We are out of the trenches for 8 days and we are very glad although the weather seems to have taken up a bit now but we have not had one fine day.  The enemy were very busy with their big guns but luckily we did not have a casualty.  Since we have been in the trenches the Germans have been shelling the village and it is smashed up and all the inhabitants have been warned to leave the place.  It is awful to see them pack what furniture they can and take it away.  All our orchard is cut to pieces and the trees are all torn down. 

I had a letter from our John and Bunny had one yesterday.  He seems to be having a rough time of it and seems fed up with the entrenching Battn. and I don't wonder at it.  We are off this morning for 8 hours digging - this is the sort of rest we get - however it is a change from the trenches. 

You need not send me any shirts or vests until I let you know but you can send me a pair of socks in the next parcel also some insect powder as practically the whole of our platoon are alive and we have a hunting parade every morning.  We are going to be fumigated tomorrow but a little powder will not come amiss.  Do you know if there is an old football bladder at home?  If so you might send it out and I might mend the bagpipes with it. 

Pleased to hear all are well.  Has Joe turned up for his leave yet?  Hope Sarah has a nice time.  Janey and you should have a holiday it would do you good.  I hope Janey has not to go away to live, but if so it can't be helped.  I suppose Gus and Jack are as big nuts as ever.  I will hardly know them when I come home.  The water melons were a treat I never enjoyed anything better. 

Remember me to all the aunts.  With love to all at home. 

Your affectionate son Billie. 

No comments:

Post a Comment