Friday 14 August 2015

Billie - Thursday 12th August 1915

Dear Sarah,

Just a line to let you know I am still going on all right. 

We have had a rotten time in the trenches as the weather has been so bad.  We have been flooded out in the trenches; the water has been up to our waists.  Talk about a time you would think we belonged to the Birmingham Scottish as we have been working with just a pair of boots and a shirt on and I can tell you it has been a job.  We have been working nearly all night for the last four nights and it is no joke standing up to your waist in water and working for four hours at a stretch on a pump.  However none of us seems to have taken any harm, so that is the chief thing.  I am pleased to say the weather has taken up a little and is fairly fine although it does not look as though it will last long. 

We moved up the line a few yards yesterday and changed over with one of our companies and we are now in a much drier part although the dug-outs are rotten here.  We come out of the trenches on Sunday night and I think we will be out for 8 days at least.  I had a letter from John last night and he seems to be having to work very hard. 

Please thank Janey for the songs they will do fine.  Tell Aunt Eliza the concertina would do all right, only it is much too heavy to carry as our pack is heavy enough and we have to hang all the things we cannot get into the pack around our necks, so I think it better stay. 

We have got a little refugee out of the village behind us in the form of a little terrier pup and he is a fine little chap and does not care a rap for rifle or artillery fire.  The village here is a sight to see hardly a sound house in the place. 

I was pleased to hear Mater is improving also that all at home are well.  I received all the newspapers &c as usual.  Hope Jess is having a nice holiday.  I wrote her while she was away so expect she got it.  Remember me to all the Aunts and cousins and all my friends. 

Hoping all are well as it leaves me in the pink. 

Your loving brother Billie. 

No comments:

Post a Comment