Monday 10 August 2015

Billie - Tuesday 10th August 1915

Sailly-au-Bois

Dear Jess,

Very many thanks for the lovely parcel which I received all serene last night.  It just came in hand as we were on short rations and we have our parcels brought up to the trenches now. 

We are in the trenches for 8 days and in for a lively time of it as it has done nothing but rain for a fortnight so you can imagine the state they are in, and it has not stopped raining yet and all the drainage wells are overflowing.  Talk about a nice sight I was roused in the morning at 3 a.m. and told we have got to bail it out.  Well some had to get on the back parapet and some had to fill the buckets and we worked until 8, just managed to get all the water clear, but, oh the mud,.  I have never seen anything like it, nearly up to your knees, some of the chaps are in their bare feet but I managed to get a pair of top boots so did not take much harm. 

The water melon is grand.  Excuse the scribble in a terrific hurry.  Well I think I must close hoping all are well as it leaves me in the pink.  Please give my kindest regards to all my friends at Liverpool.  I must try to get a little sleep now. 

Your loving brother Billie. 

No comments:

Post a Comment