Monday 31 August 2015

Billie - Tuesday 31st August 1915

Dear Mother,

Very many thanks for the parcel which arrived in fine condition yesterday; also thank Mrs Freehow for the tomatoes.  I appreciate all my friends' kindness very much.  I had both your fine parcels the same day. 

The candles are jolly fine, the beauty of them being they last so long.  Kindly thank John K. for the bagpipes.  This second pair arrived in good condition so we had quite a lively evening with them yesterday.  We are still out of the trenches and I think we will be 8 days or more before we go in.  We are out in a wood today chopping down tres, &c. and it is quite a change after so much drill and bothering round the parade ground.  I should think they intend building huts here for our winter quarters.  The scenery here is very like the Lake District. 

I hope our John gets his leave - I'm sure he is entitled to one.  I think they are going to send more men every week on leave after 1st September so it's to be hoped they do, as my leave will be a bit nearer now that all the Sergeants &c who never go near the trenches have had their leaves.  Of course this is the way all over. 

I trust all are keeping well.  I suppose father is as busy as ever.  I will write to him as soon as I get time, but they do not give us much time for letter writing at present.  I'm sending Mr Yeowart a P.C. tomorrow.  Is it true Mrs Burnyear has been interned or is it just a rumour?  I hope all my relatives and friends are well, I should think I will scarcely know Jackie. 

I have a fine photograph of that church I told you of that was in the village just behind the lines we occupied, and you can see for yourselves the state it is in, and also one of the farm.  I will try to send them to you. 

I have my Spirella Bodybelt so I am all right in that respect.  Oh you might send me an air pillow, our John left me his, but someone sneaked it some few weeks ago.  I think round ones are the best, I saw some advertised in the Weekly Dispatch. 

I have got a fine nose cap of a German shell that dropped not many yards away from us, when out in the open, digging so I will try and send it on to you, and also a couple of rings I have moulded out of one of the nose caps so it I get them finished I'll send them too.  That was the right place where we were (Sailly) but now we are about 5 miles behind the line. 

Well I think this is all the news at present.  Hoping all are well as it leaves me in the pink. 

Your loving son Billie

No comments:

Post a Comment