Tuesday 1 September 2015

John - Wednesday 1st September 1915

Dear Mother,

Thank you very much for your nice parcel.  The fruit is fine and will come in useful tomorrow as Jem Goodall is coming to our place for dinner. 

Would you please send me some candles as the ones we get here are rotten things and are 1 1/2d each.  We spend all our spare time in our huts and we want to make them as cheerful as possible.  We are lining the inside with canvas so you can see we mean to be comfortable.  We might be here for sometime yet and it gets jolly cold at nights, although I've not felt the cold yet, so you need not worry about me.  We are living jolly well under the circumstances.  I've not forgotten about your lace.  I will send it as soon as possible perhaps next week, it depends where we are working. 

I am pleased to hear you are getting quite well again, you must be very careful now and not worry about us.  I think the war will soon be over and then we shall all be all right again.  I have not had time to write to Mr Yeowart so please thank him for me.  It is jolly good of him to think of us out here. 

I have heard nothing about my leave.  It might come through yet, I have not given up hopes.  It would be all right if I could get it at the same time as Joe.  In any case I shall get leave sometime so it is always to look forward to. 

I hope father is well, I shall write to him as soon as I have an opportunity.  I received the New and London Opinion safely.  I suppose there are queer tales about Mrs Burnyeat - I wonder if there is any truth in them! 

We stop at dinnertime today to go for a bath, we have to walk 5 miles for 2 minutes under a shower bath.  I never have any of the army clean clothes now.  I have my own washed here and it is heaps better.  I must close now as it is starting to rain. 

Love to all at home.  John

No comments:

Post a Comment