Monday 4 January 2016

Billie - Tuesday 4th January 1916

Dear Janey,

Many thanks for the letters and cards received these last few days.  We came back in the trenches this morning.  Our dug out is a foot deep in mud and water, and as fast as we bail it out, it runs in again, so we have decided to wallow in it. 

I received the parcel on 28th and it came in handy as we had disposed of all our Xmas fare.  We had a small casket containing a small plum pudding and some biscuits and cheese from the Mayor of Birmingham.  I think it was jolly decent of him don't you?  We had plum pudding on Christmas Day from the Daily News and Leader, but this is the only thing sent from outside.  All the things that get sent for the chaps in the trenches get about as far as the base and then disappear.  I hear the RAMC touch for a lot of these things. 

I had another bombing course the last day out, and we had some sport throwing live bombs.  I was pleased to hear John looked so well in his uniform.  I am eagerly looking forward to the day when I get my leave.  It will not be so long now as weeks fairly fly - doing eight days out and eight days in.  I had a card from Jess (at Liverpool) and I hope she has a good time.  I hope all are well at home and will all keep off the sick list.  I expect Joe is busy as the Germans have been busy up their way before Christmas.  There was a decent job going the other day, and I thought of putting in for it, and then I thought I'd sooner stick to my old post.  It was a job on the Brigade Concert party to amuse the chaps at concerts, which are being organised when the men are out of the trenches.  They wanted two from our Company and they would not have to go in the trenches at all.  The weather is still very bad, but we are quite used to going up the waist in mud now.  Tell Thompson when he does get called up, not to go in the Infantry if he can help it.  Well I must close hoping all at home are well, as it leaves me in the pink. 

Your loving brother Billie. 

No comments:

Post a Comment