Sunday 24 January 2016

Joe - Monday 24th January 1916

Dear Jess,

Thank Mother very much for parcel received yesterday.  We came out of the trenches yesterday morning and we go back to the Divisional Rest Camp sometime this week.  You ask me if I've been bad because I was sent to the Rest Camp - why I have never felt better.  I've not been off colour much since we came out, I will write to John sometime this week, he will be having a fine time of it. 

You will see in the papers that we have had a bit of a scrap with the Germans on our front.  One of the regiments on our right attacked on Wednesday night and of course we caught some of the bombardment.  We had 5 wounded and one has since died of his wounds, but we were very lucky as our trenches were fairly battered with shells. 

Well I must close.  Hope all at home are well.  With love to all. 

Your affectionate brother Joe

No comments:

Post a Comment