Wednesday 30 December 2015

Billie - Thursday 30th December 1915

Dear Jess,

Just a line to let you know I am still in the pink.  We are out of the trenches and over on the plain in reserve in a redoubt which would have to be held at all cost, if the Germans should break through.  We had an awful time in the trenches and I will not forget it in a hurry. 

I was pleased to hear you had decided [typist's note: think he refers to the wedding date] and I do hope I will be home then.  I'm pleased to hear John was getting down for Christmas.  We had a glorious time when we received the parcels and it was quite good sport.  The duck and plum pudding were a treat, not forgetting the sauce which arrived safely.  Also thank Mater for the parcel received last night; also Mrs Mayne for the lovely cake, Mrs Wattleworth for the tea cakes and toffee also Aunt Sally. 

I was more than pleased to hear John had come home, he is lucky.  How is Joe getting on?  He owes me a letter.  You can send me a pair of socks in the next parcel as this weather plays havoc with socks.  I expect to be home about the end of March. 

Well I must close now hoping all at home are well as it leaves me in the pink.  Kindly remember me to all at Greenwell House, George St and Catherine St.  Must close and turn in. 

Your loving brother Billie. 

No comments:

Post a Comment