Monday 18 January 2016

Billie - Tuesday 18th January 1916

Dear Janey,

Many thanks for the letter.  You would no doubt be pleased to hear I had received all my parcels all serene and in fine condition.  You would be surprised to hear I was back with the Company and I've never felt better in my life. 

We have had another turn back in the village and have had a fairly easy time of it.  I've been having a course on the Lewis gun and expect to get on the team as soon as there is a chance.  The only thing about being back in the village is that we find it very expensive as the canteen is here and the rations have been rotten - hardly anything but biscuits, so you can guess we speculated a little. 

I was pleased to hear all are well at home.  The weather has been jolly decent for the last 8 days, just a few showers so we are hoping it will continue.  You will be sorry to hear they have cut our leaves to four men a company, so it will make it a few weeks later for me, however I have always it to look forward to. 

Please send me another diary than I can keep it going for you, also a decent pocket knife and get a safety ring so that I can fasten it to my belt.  Uncle Tom will do it for you. 

We go to the trenches again on Thursday for another 8 days, then 8 in reserve than 8 in again and then back here again.  Well I must close hoping all are well.  Please remember me to Thompson's Father also all at Green well House, George Street and Catherine Street.  Cheer oh. 

Your loving brother Billie. 

No comments:

Post a Comment