Monday 4 January 2016

Joe - Tuesday 4th January 1916

Dear Mother,

I have received two home parcels since last writing.  I also had all the New Year cards. 

You said that I might easily beat Billie home on leave, well I was drawn to go on leave with A Company's first batch yesterday, but there was some misunderstanding, and two men had been picked after the draw - it's rather bad luck.  Still I don't mind so long as I get a leave, but I'd have been able to be home with John. 

I think we have to go once or twice in the trenches again.  Of course I will be at Battalion: H.O. this time.  I got a nosecap from a German shell given by a chap and if I get on leave I want a few rings making out of it.  I have no tackle out here for shaping rings. 

I was pleased to hear Father had a decent holiday; he would need it.  I will send a P.C. to thank Mrs Huggins.  Poor Jack would never have the pleasure of a parcel from home.  Sid is getting on fine and looks grand.  I don't think those special shirts are any good - we can do without them. 

Well I must close hoping this finds all at home well. 

Your loving son Joe

No comments:

Post a Comment