Monday 25 January 2016

Billie - Tuesday 25th January 1916

Dear Janey,

Many thanks for the letter received tonight, also for welcome parcel of last night.  It just arrived at the right time, as the rations at present are rotten - biscuits often on the menu card.  We are back in the trenches again and up to the present are having it a bit hot.  The weather is not quite so bad, but it poured with rain but we are quite used to that. 

I was sorry to hear that Jess is ill and sincerely hope that she is now better.  Also sorry to hear Gus is ill and trust he will soon be well.  I hope all are well with these two exceptions; also that Joe is A1.  I expect like us they will be fed up with the management of this war as a whole, and I might add that all here think if the Government as a whole do not put their backs into it a bit more, I am afraid it will be all up with this England.  You ought to hear the chaps out here - well it would do some of the MPs good if they came out here and heard what the soldiers think of them, and the way they are muddling the whole affair. 

Pleased to hear John is at Barrow; he will see Father, often.  Glad to know Sarah is going to Barrow for a few days - the change will do her good.  I am patiently waiting for my leave.  I was disgusted to hear that Syd H. is starred, and I would like to know what government work he is on.  I was surprised to hear that John H. has the sauce to apply for a commission, and I would like to know how such as he - in an office all the time and never done any soldiering - should be given a commission when there are heaps of chaps out here who could get their commissions through right away only the COs will not allow them to go; and these would be just the men for the new armies. 

Well it is nights like tonight when one wishes the war was over, and not held down with an iron hand, and be able to do what one feels inclined to.  Well I think this is all, hoping all are well at home, also Thompson and yourself.  Remember me to all.  Cheer oh. 

Your loving brother Billie. 

No comments:

Post a Comment