Monday 11 January 2016

Joe - Tuesday 11th January 1916

Dear Mother,

I expect you got my letter that I send last week.  I am down at Rest Camp for four days and I go back tomorrow.  We are about 3 miles behind the firing line.  It is a place where chaps who have been sick are generally sent for a rest, but I got a surprise; two of us were picked out to go and we had never declared sick, but we didn't say "No".  So many men are sent here every four days, and it came in just nicely for me - our Battalion had just taken the trenches over, and we were at H.O. for one night, and then we were sent to this camp.  I think the Battalion comes out of the trenches just as we get back.  I don't think I will be in the trenches again.  The Division moves to a rest camp in a few days and then big batches of men will be sent on leave. 

We do not get our letters or parcels down here, so I should have a good post waiting for me when I get back.  I have met Miller Irving down here a few times.  Well I've no more news at present.  You can me some more Harris's Pomade. 

With love to all at home, and hope this finds all at home well. 

Your loving son Joe

No comments:

Post a Comment