Saturday 30 April 2016

Joe - Sunday 30th April 1916

Dear Father,

I think it is about time I was letting you know how I am getting on although I know you will see all the home letters.  Well, you will probably know we are back in the trenches for another spell.  I think I am only 20 miles from Billie but there is not much chance of seeing him.  The place where we are was once a village and I've never seen a place laid so low with shell fire, there is hardly one part of a house left standing - just a jumble of bricks. 

You will likely be as busy as ever, there shouldn't be any one out of work in England.  We are having splendid weather now, just like Summer, and it has fairly dried the trenches up.  I think there has been some fun in Ireland.  It looked rather serious at first, but the military authorities soon got things well in hand. 

I expect you all had a good time at the weddings.  I sent Jess and John a letter with my best wishes.  Well I have no more news at present so must close hoping this finds all at home well.  Remember me to Mrs Mayne.  I hope she is keeping well. 

Your loving son Joe

No comments:

Post a Comment