Tuesday 12 April 2016

Joe - Wednesay 12th April 1916

Dear Mother,

I received the parcel and letter and thanks for same.  I was pleased to hear you are all A1 at home. 

We are still out of the trenches and having a fairly decent time.  Well about a leave - I will not be able to manage it this time; in another month or so I might strike lucky.  Syd was going to take me up to the Captain, but Syd was told that there were only six going on leave and that five or six were left over from last time, so we didn't go to the Company Commander.  We have been having decent weather although it has been showery today. 

It is not a bit of wonder men can't get a leave, why officers and sergeant majors are going on their second leaves, so that explains why chaps can't get their first leave.  I have plenty of socks, money &c to be going on with so you needn't send any of these.  You can send me some more envelopes, and a pad as well. 

John and Jess will be very busy preparing for the weddings.  Well I'd have liked to be present, still it can't be helped.  Well I must close.  Hope all at home are well. 

With love to all Joe

No comments:

Post a Comment