Friday 15 April 2016

Billie - Saturday 15th April 1916

Dear Janey,

Just a line to let you know I am going on all right.  We are in the trenches again and having a pretty rotten time of it what with the weather being so bad and the bombardment we have had, well it is enough to drive one to drink.  However just another day and then we go back a few miles for 8 days, and I hope when that is up we move back for our long expected rest. 

I had a letter from poor old Bunny's Pater last night, but I will forward it.  We have been out of the trenches today for a rest, so a couple of gunners and I went round to the cemetery and planted lots of rots with yellow flowers on Bunny's grave, and it looks decent now.  We are wondering if we would be able to get an officer to take the photo of it, to send to his people. 

You will no doubt know that all leaves are stopped and do not look like starting again.  John also asked me to ask our officer if he received the souvenirs that he took for him, so you might tell John that none of them were received; the Corporal who had to post them must have kept them. 

I suppose you will all be very busy now.  I wish I could only get home for Easter, but I am afraid there is not much chance.  However I suppose we must hope for the best.  Well this is all the news, hoping all are well as it leaves me in the pink. 

Your loving brother Billie. 

Kindly remember me to Thompson's father. 

No comments:

Post a Comment