Monday 18 April 2016

Joe - Tuesday 18th April 1916

Dear Mother,

I received the parcel and letter from Jess yesterday and thanks for the same.  Well we are having a fairly decent time but I think our rest is at an end, and we are supposed to go into the trenches on Friday (Good Friday).  All leaves are stopped so it is out of the question to get home for the weddings.  I will write to Jess and John in a day or so, they will be having a busy time of it. 

We are having very changeable weather; it shouldn't be long till we have some decent weather.  I haven't found out how far I am from Billie but will let you know soon.  It was hard luck, Bunny Randles getting killed after being out so long, and especially when he had commission papers in his pocket; still it likely had to be.  Syd is all right and often asks after you all.  Some chaps out of our Battalion got as far as Boulogne and then were brought back, and I heard men got to Victoria Station, and even then had to go back - they were never allowed off the platform. 

I wrote to Jennie a few days since.  I was surprised to hear that Abram Brocklebank had to go; quite a number of married men have had to go from Whitehaven.  If a single chap in a colliery office is exempt or manages to get off, a married man should also. 

Well I've no more news, so must close.  Hoping this finds you all well at home. 

Your loving son Joe

No comments:

Post a Comment