Sunday 3 April 2016

Billie - Monday 3rd April 1916

Dear Sarah,

Just a line to let you know I am going on all right and out of the trenches. 

You will no doubt be sorry to hear poor old Bunny was killed on his birthday, 31st March, and buried in the village here on 1st April.  I cannot tell you how I felt when I knew, and I would not believe it till I went and saw him.  As you know Bunny was my most intimate chum ever since I joined the army, and we always got on so well, that I can hardly realise he is gone forever.  I wrote to his Father last night and broke the news very gently to him and told him all particulars and asked him if there was any little thing I could do for him out here, as I would be only too pleased to do it.  We went to his grave yesterday and put one or two things tidy, and then covered the grave with daffodils and as soon as the pioneers are finished we are going to make it as nice as possible.  I can hardly think of the state his people and his finacée will be in, when they hear and it must be a terribly sad time for them.  You might ask Janey if you have got time, to write to his girl and to his people.  I enclose the addresses. 

The weather here is lovely again almost like Summer and it is a treat to get outside it is so warm.  You might send me another writing pad in the next week's parcel.  Well I must close now, hoping all are well as it leaves me in the pink. 

Your loving brother Billie. 

I've written to John today and broke the sad news to him. 

No comments:

Post a Comment