Tuesday 5 April 2016

Billie - Wednesday 5th April 1916

Dear Janey,

Very many thanks for letter received yesterday, also thank Mater for the lovely parcel which I received on the 3rd in splendid condition.  The pork was lovely - quite a treat; we fairly did enjoy it and no mistake. 

We are out of the trenches, but just in the village, in large dug outs, and we are having quite a decent time.  The weather is lovely now, quite like Summer and almost too warm to do anything, but the nights turn very cold.  You will no doubt know now that we have lost poor Bunny; it was a great shock to all of us and must be a terrible blow for his girl and his people.  John will be upset when he gets my letter telling him the bad news. 

Oh, you will no doubt know that all leaves are stopped, I don't know why but it seems as though I will never get a leave at all.  I met the Captain whilst out yesterday, and he told me he'd had a letter from John asking if it would be possible to get me a leave for Easter, but he said he did not see how it could be done, unless I could get some chap to change with me, and I don't see how I am to manage that; in fact I should not have the cheek to ask anyone, as everyone wants to get leave as soon as he can to see his people.  However something may turn up between now and Easter and with a bit of luck I might manage it, but of course we can do nothing if all leaves are stopped. 

I was sorry to her you were not well and sincerely hope you are much better ere this reaches you.  Sarah's time will be short now, and she will be having a very busy time of it.  You might kindly thank Mrs Mayne for the lovely cake; also thank Miss Rooke for the chocolate.  I will drop them a card as soon as I get time.  I suppose Pater will be very busy yet and must feel the strain very much.  Pleased to hear Joe is A1 but I hope his lot are not coming near us as it is rather warm here at present.  You will all be very busy and not have much time to yourselves.  Jess will not have very long and will be quite busy at Liverpool.  Well I think this is all the news at present so must close, hoping all are well, as this leaves me in the pink.  Must close now as we are going to gather flowers for Bunny's grave.  Cheer Oh. 

Your loving brother Billie. 

No comments:

Post a Comment