Wednesday 27 April 2016

Billie - Thursday 27th April 1916

Dear Sarah,

Kindly thank Mater for the two ripping parcels received on Easter Monday and Easter Wednesday also for the money. 

Well I suppose by this the great events will all be over and you will once more be settled down.  On John's wedding day we came into the trenches, and yesterday (Jess's day) we were in the front line, but I was thinking of you all.  What sort of weather had they - I only hope it was fine? 

It has been too hot for words these last few days, quite a treat if it was not for the shelling.  There is a rumour about that we are going back for six weeks' rest after this time in, and I think this is right this time, as our other Battalions have been relieved and we are the only Battalion our of our Brigade that is in the line; so they look as though they are at last coming our way.  I hope so at any rate, but will let you know. 

I suppose you will be very busy now your time is so short.  I guess you won't half be having a rush.  I am sorry to hear Janey is not better yet, but hope she is improving.  How are all at home, also all at Greenwell House, George St and Catherine Street?  I hope they are all well.  Pleased to hear Thompson is not called up yet, and I hope it will be longer still before it does happen.  Pleased to hear Joe is all right. 

You will no doubt be sorry to hear poor Bunny's brother has been wounded but I've not heard any particulars.  He was through Loos.  The grub when we were out last time was too awful for words and we were always having to buy.  Tell John that Adjutant Hoskins had a fall from his horse and has gone to England - I think. 

Well I think this is all at present.  Hoping all are well as it leaves me in the pink. 

Your loving brother Billie. 

No comments:

Post a Comment