Tuesday 19 April 2016

Billie - Wednesday 19th April 1916

Dear Janey,

Thanks for letter received a few days ago, also thank Mater for the lovely parcel which I received last night, it was great.  We are now out of the trenches and back for 8 days, and they are not half making us polish our buttons &c.  I suppose they want us to create a good impression when we enter Berlin.  I was very sorry to hear you were still on the sick list, but I trust you are feeling much better by this reaches you. 

You will no doubt know that all leaves are stopped, and I will not be able to get home for the weddings much as I would like to.  I would give anything if I could only manage it, but we cannot do anything in the matter, when they are stopped throughout the army.  We get no rum now and we find the mornings very cold, as they have taken our fur coats in and one blanket.  Thank John for his letter and tell him I gave Mr Pepper his letter and he said he would see what he could do for me when leaves started again.  We had our Captain (Capt. Arnell) badly wounded this last time. 

You will all be very busy I can just imagine I see you all, and if I am not home for the weddings in body, I can assure you I will be in spirit.  I was pleased to hear Thompson and all are well, and that Joe was in the pink.  Well I think this is all the news so must close hoping all are well, and that you are feeling much better as it leaves me in the pink. 

Your loving brother Billie. 

I suppose Pater is still as busy as ever and will be ready for a holiday.  I have enclosed Mr Randall's letter.  Kindly thank Jennie for hers.  I must try to write to my big cousins as soon as I get a minute.  I got my P.O. changed after a bit of trouble.  We cannot get P.O.s changed at the Canteen but you can manage orders, in fact you can get more francs for £1 note than you do for a sovereign; I think this is to stop people sending gold out here.  Well cheer oh, it is pouring with rain again today.  It rained all day yesterday and we had a platoon football match for the Colonel's cup and our team won the first round 2:1.  I am captain of the platoon team - we feel none the worse for our wetting yesterday. 

No comments:

Post a Comment