Saturday 2 April 2016

Joe - Sunday 2nd April 1916

Dear Janey,

I received your letter and was sorry to hear you had been bad.  I think you work too hard. 

Well, we are still out of the trenches, and I don't know when we will go back.  I was talking to Hugh Bailey and he gave me your message.  I don't know whether I will be able to go down on leave next time our Company draws; I doubt it.  What dates are John's and Jessie's weddings?  I think you told me John's was the day before Jessie's. 

We are having grand weather now, it's just like Summer and I hope it continues to be fine for a few months.  There has been a heavy bombardment going on somewhere up the line; it has been on a few days now. 

You needn't send me any ham or bacon, and we can get eggs out here cheap enough, but you can always put one or two oranges and apples in my parcels, as we can't get any out here.  Father will likely be as busy as ever, I will write to him this week sometime.  I have written to Billie today; I think it is time he had a rest - over 12 months in the trenches and never a rest - I can't understand it. 

We were inspected by Sir Douglas Haig last Friday, we have had plenty of inspections lately.  John will likely still be having a good time, it will be a nice change after being out here.  Well I must close.  Hope all at home are well. 

With love to all Joe

No comments:

Post a Comment