Thursday 31 March 2016

Billie - Friday 31st March 1916

Dear Janey,

Many thanks for Mother's lovely parcel received on 29th in good condition, also for letters and papers received last night.  I am sorry to say the eggs were not a success as all were broken, so I don't think I'd risk any more, excepting hard boiled ones. 

We are in the trenches again but we are being relieved tomorrow by our 7th Battalion and there is a strong rumour that this is our last time in, but we do not think so, as we have had too many of these rumours.  The weather has been very cold the last few days and we have had a lot more snow, but I'm pleased to say it is much warmer today, and nearly all the snow has cleared away - for good we hope. 

I was very pleased to know my Diary arrived all right.  The chap I sent it with is on the guns, and got married while on leave.  He arranged the wedding some weeks ago, and was on his way when they were turned back as all leaves were stopped.  Jolly hard luck was it not?  But still he has had it now s it does not matter. 

I had a letter from Jess from Liverpool she seems to be busy.  I wrote John a long letter, so he will no doubt give you all the news.  Have you heard from Joe and do you know if he received my letter I sent a few days ago?  I was pleased to hear you are going to do Thompson's work.  I feel sure you will manage all right.  I guess you will all be very busy knitting for Thompson but I trust he will not be called up yet. 

I had a very close shave yesterday whilst filling some sand bags in the doorway of a dug out when the Germans dropped a 5.9 shell on the dug out and knocked part of it in.  I got hit on the knee with a piece of wood from the dug out but that was all.  Only one chap was hit, and only slightly so we were all very lucky. 

You might thank Miss Rook for the chocolate, it is awfully good of her.  Well I suppose that Sarah will be up to the eyes in work, also Father will be kept very busy.  Well I think this is all at present so I must close.  Hoping all at home are well also the aunts, as it leaves me in the pink. 

Your loving brother Billie. 

It is a glorious day today and feels a treat to be alive. 

No comments:

Post a Comment